Top 5 Tips to Avoid a Wage and Hour/Unpaid Wages Lawsuit
by farby | Dec 31, 2015 | Uncategorized |
- Ensure complete and accurate wage statements. Read more
- Provide meal and rest breaks. Read more
- Never pay an employee in cash or “under the table.” Although some employees prefer it because of increased take-home pay, many employers who pay in cash ultimately regret their decision because it can result in a large, unplanned liability and they have a legal obligation to withhold payroll taxes and report employees’ wages accurately. Moreover, it can lead to audits by the EDD, IRS, and other agencies – a very expensive headache!
- Have employees certify in writing that their timesheets are accurate; in writing and in practice, prohibit working “off the clock.”
- Make sure your employees are properly classified as exempt or non-exempt. Read more